It seems that Hollywood is all about the comic book movie these days. Just this year alone we’ve been given Watchmen and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to see either of these yet but I definitely will. That said, here’s a list of my favorite comic book movies!
- The Crow (1994) – My favorite comic movie of all time. So dark… So creepy and it was relatively true to the book. Rest in peace Brandon Lee. You were on the cusp of greatness.
- X2: X-Men United (2003) – the intro scene alone was awesome but when you throw in the “storming of the castle” scene this is comic book genius. I have yet to see the newest Wolverine movie but from what I’m hearing I doubt it’s going to be on this list and certainly not this high.
- Batman (1989) – Staring Michael Keaton (Batman/Bruce Wayne), Jack Nicholson (The Joker), Kim Basinger, Robert Wuhl and Jack Palance, Batman was the first big comic book movie in years and was the first film treatment of the character since 1966’s Batman: The Movie. The hype for this movie was absolutely incredible and the flick certainly didn’t disappoint.
- Superman (1978) – By far my favorite “origin” movie and aside from the whole “spin the Earth to turn back time” shit a nearly flawless flick in my book. To this day Christopher Reeve IS this character. His portrayal of the icon was superb.
- The Dark Knight (2008) – aside from the damn voice that Christian Bale does when he’s suited up he’s an outstanding Batman. I think he’s definitely the best I’ve ever seen at playing the “playboy” that is Bruce Wayne. Heath Ledger was absolutely incredible in his portrayal as the Joker. He brought an “edge” that Nicholson didn’t have. Full review here.
- The Punisher (2004) – Thomas Jane played this role very well I thought. Travolta completely overacted a non-comic character but in the end I enjoyed that character as well.
- Spider-Man 2 (2004) – When I first saw this I thought it was hands down the best comic movie I’d ever seen. I recently re-watched it and found quite a few flaws that I’d missed but it’s still damn good. The fight between Doc Oc and Spidey is one of the best put to film. Full review here.
- Iron Man (2008) & Watchmen (2009) – I have yet to see these flicks. If what I’ve heard is true they’ll most likely make their way into the top 5.