We’re only 6 days from the Grandaddy of em all… WrestleMania 29! Pip will be making his yearly trek to Cleveland on Friday morning and I’m giddy like a little school girl. Absolutely can’t wait!!! If you’re a professional wrestling geek, this is the biggest week of the year. It’s the end of the “season” and good God is it exciting. Yes… I’m a geek. I’ll own it. As per usual, we’ve been hard at work on our WrestleMania 29 Drinking Game to help us build this year’s version of The Beeramid!!!
Here’s the current card from Sunday evening’s WrestleMania PPM event:
- WWE Championship
The Rock vs. John Cena
- The Undertaker vs. CM Punk
- Retirement Match
Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar
- World Heavyweight Championship
Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger
- Randy Orton, Sheamus & Big Show vs. The Shield
- Intercontinental Championship
Wade Barrett vs. The Miz
- Ryback vs. Mark Henry
- WWE Tag Team Championship
Team Hell No vs. Dolph Ziggler & Big E Langston
- Chris Jerico vs. Fandango
- Brodus Clay, Tensai & The Funkadactyls vs. Team Rhodes Scholars & The Bella Twins
I’ll be honest… on paper this doesn’t look like a super outstanding card. But the WWE really does have some opportunities here to give us a great show which I’m guessing they’ll do. There’s still one week of RAW & Smackdown left which could change things, but at this point here’s how I see the show going down:
- Cena goes over The Rock winning the WWE Championship. There’s been some talk in the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) about a long overdue Cena heel turn. That’d be outstanding in my book, but however they do it I’m just looking for the title to be off the guest host…. er… champion The Rock.
- Undertaker will maintain The Streak over CM Punk. When this match was first announced I thought for sure that this was the year that Taker was going down. However once Paul Bearer died and they brought that into the story line I simply don’t see how they’d allow for Bearer’s memory to be “disgraced” via an Undertaker loss (or more the the point a CM Punk win).
- Triple H will defeat Brock Lesnar. HHH is near the end of his career for sure but I don’t see him going out to a guy who walked out of the company a decade ago. He’s got too much respect for the business to do that.
- Del Rio vs. Swagger is a tough one to call. I’d like to say that we’d see Dolph Ziggler cash in here, but I’m thinking that Swagger is going to win the title so I don’t see that happening. If I had to put money on it, I’d say we’d see Swagger walk out as champion even if it’s just so Vince can piss off Glen Beck for a while longer.
- Orton, Sheamus & Big Show vs. The Shield – Shield all the way on this one. No reason for them not to go over. If they don’t, expect to see The Shield fellas in singles competition by the next PPV.
- Barrett vs. Miz – I’m thinking its about time for The Miz to have some gold again. He was main eventing WrestleMania two years ago and has been through a bunch of shit since. He’s recently been in a WWE movie (The Marine 3: Homefront) so I won’t be surprised one bit if he walks out with IC gold.
- Ryback vs. Mark Henry is another tough one to call. On one hand, they’ve built up Ryback for the past year. On the other hand, Henry is nearing the end of his career and there’s talk that he’s injured. If this match goes on I’d guess we’ll get some sort of a double count out or or double disqualification to keep both guys strong.
- It’s time for Dolph Ziggler to get some gold. As I said before, I don’t see him cashing in at this PPV but the Daniels / Kane thing has run its course months ago and it’s time for them to get back into singles competition. Ziggler and Big E (Buy Me A Bra) Langston will be your new tag team champs.
- Jericho vs. Fandango. I’ve gone on record saying this Fandango character simply will never get over. Johnny Curtis (Fandango) is a good in ring performer but for some reason he’s stuck with this crappy gimmick. Since his return at the Royal Rumble, Jerico has done nothing but put guys over. Hell… his entire LAST run with the company was nothing but putting guys over and making them look great. I’m really hoping that just HAVING a match on the WrestleMania card gives the rub to Fandango… he certainly doesn’t deserve a win over Jericho.
- I couldn’t care less who wins in the gimmick match of Fat Dancers vs. “Guys WWE Should Push But Doesn’t”. This match isn’t even on the WWE website as an official match so this may be bumped to the YouTube pre-show. Regardless, Rhodes and especially Sandow are superstars waiting to happen and they’re stuck in a match with two guys who’s gimmicks failed miserably (especially Prince Alert… A-Train… er… Tenasi). I spose it’s nice that these guys get a Mania payday but I’d much rather see one of the other matches on the card get more time, a U.S. Title Match or even a Diva’s Championship Match. Sadly, I think the Fat Dancers will get the win.
How will you be spending WrestleMania Sunday?